Abraham Lincoln once said “Discourage litigation … Never stir up litigation.”
We represent individuals and businesses as both plaintiffs (party suing) and defendants (party being sued) at all levels of trial in a variety of general litigation matters.
Exposure to litigation can arise before a court action. A successful outcome may be an avoidance of litigation. Litigation risk assessment is the process whereby we evaluate your exposure to the risks and costs associated with starting or defending an action in court. Engaging in such a process often allows the clients to make an informed decision.
For clients who choose to proceed further, we draw on a wide range of strategies to pursue and achieve our clients’ objectives. In a monetary claim, obtaining the maximum recovery is our goal in each case.
We do not fear the prospect of carrying a matter all the way to trial and appeal. There is, however, also no necessity to engage in aggressive litigation tactics unless absolutely essential.
We also bring our skills and experience in mediation and pre-litigation negotiations to facilitate the most desirable resolution for our clients.
A note of caution. If you are being sued in court, you have to seek legal advice quickly on the options available. This is to avoid the unnecessary hassle of missing out on a procedural step.
Check out our latest case here in which we successfully invoked the independent contractor defence in tortious claim.
Our areas of practice in litigation include the following:
- General debt recovery and enforcement proceedings
- Property/land-related dispute (between neighbours and between owner and contractor)
- Landlord and tenant dispute, recovery of rental, distress and recovery of tenanted premises
- Companies winding up proceedings
- Bankruptcy proceedings
- Shareholders’ disputes
- Contentious estate claims
- Criminal mentions, representations to the Attorney General’s Chambers, mitigation plea and trial
- Personal injury claims, negligent or intentional conduct